Types of Car Jacks
There are different types of car jack. And we are going to describe the most common ones.
1. Scissor jacks is a usual type working with any car. It is easy to lift it, and sometimes it may be found in a new car as a spare tire compartment. It is operated by means of a large screw, and due to it, the vehicle is lifted. Scissor jacks are light and helpful in the emergency kit.
2. Bottle jack is a step up from scissor jacks. The name speaks for itself: it is like a bottle. This type of the car jack uses a hydraulic mechanism that helps to lift a car. It is also not big and does not take much space in a trunk. It will do for bigger vehicles like SUV.
3. Floor jack is often met in a garage with jack stands. It has wheel for better movement because it is rather heavy. This type of the car jack is known for a good durability. A cost is higher compared to the previous types. It is necessary only for performing maintenance.
|Pro-Lift F-767||2 Ton||3.5 to 14 inches||17.9" x 5.3" x 8.5"|
|Arcan XL2T||2 Ton||2.75 to 24 inches||32.5" x 8.2" x 11.2"|
|LIBRA||5,000 lbs||5 to 24 inches||-|
|Extreme Max||1,100 lbs||to 14 inches||18" x 10" x 3.8"|
|Torin Floor Jack||2 Ton||5-7/8 to 17-1/4 inches||26" x 11" x 8"|
|Pro-Lift B-006D||6 Ton||-||4.9" x 9.8" x 4.3"|
|Arcan XL20||2 Ton||3 1/2 to 18 1/2 inches||26" x 6.3" x 13.2"|
Common Features of Tire Jacks
The features of the tire jacks are various. It is important to know the features because it will help you to choose a right model. Some of them have three features, and others have one.
- A wide base is popular because it provides stability and reduces risks of accidents. This base prevents inclines or lowering into the ground during the use.
- A handle style may be found in the jacks. Some types are able to be controlled by a crow bar or tire iron. This type helps when the existing handle is missing.
- A position stop is very important and provides a safety. It does not let raising the jack above than it is recommended.
If you decide to buy a car jack, you should consider some things.
- An essential factor is a weight capacity. Your car jack has to carry a weight of the vehicle. It should be higher or equal to a weight of the vehicle, so make sure that you know a weight of your car. In most cases a weight it may lift is lower than it is stated.
- The next thing you should consider is a construction that may be done of various materials. It is commonly steel, or aluminum. Of course, steel is considered more rigid and will last longer than aluminum. If you plan to carry your car jack from one place to another one, you should consider aluminum construction because it is lighter.
- The next thing is a design. Low profile allows moving the jack under the car with a low profile. Some models have various height level they will lift the car up to. So make sure that you know a height of your vehicle to buy a needed jack with the required capacities.
- A standard lift speed is 8-10 strokes of the handle. But you can use just 3-6 strokes, and for this, a dual lifting piston is needed. A fast lift system may also help.
- There are electric and also manual car jacks. If you need more support, an electric jack is a good option. Its 12’’ cord allows to out the jack whenever needed on the vehicle. It is plugged into a cigarette lighter.
Tire Jack Safety Recommendations
There are essential reasons to buy a car jack: changing a tire, inspecting breaks, oil changes, and some other reasons that will ease your work with a car. If a car jack is not constructed well, it may be dangerous for your life and lead to accidents. So there are recommendations that should be observed for a safe usage of the jack.
- If your maintenance takes a long period on the jack, do not leave it on it. You should take out the stands, and put it under the car.
- The wheels should be blocked to prevent the vehicle from rolling. Bricks, or blocks, or wooden wedges may be used to keep it safe. Put the wheels on the side of the vehicle where you do not work. If you do not have any of these things, you may park near a curb, and then the wheels should be turned to the curb.
- Do not replace tire on the highway. You should call the automotive service.